What are online casino game providers?
The casino software providers are the companies who develop the games and supply them to online casinos to be enjoyed by their players.
Casino game providers – legal and safety requirement
First things first! Your safety is guaranteed through the casino licensing system. Game providers cannot operate in the market unless they achieve a license from one of the regulating bodies.
Data security and safe play are two other vital areas that casino game providers must consider.
By way of example, game providers must make sure their games are safe to play without posing a risk to a player’s personal data.
Fairness of games
No one wants to waste time or money on a game if there isn’t even the slightest chance of cashing out the prize.
The best casino software providers create casino games that allow players to land wins but also enable online casinos to make money in the long term.
These casino games must be fair, and third-party companies carry out audits to make sure that the highest standards are being followed.
Testing agencies like Gaming Laboratories International (GLI), eCOGRA, Technical Systems Testing (TST), NMi, SQS, BMM Testlabs, and Gaming Associates carry out independent testing of the games, regularly.
Game providers set the Return To Player (RTP) for their casino games, but it is up to each individual casino to choose the ones to offer.
The RTP is a theoretical percentage, calculated over millions of spins, that gives you an idea of how much of your wins are likely to make it back to you.
The more you spin, the closer your results are to this number, basing the theory on the law of large numbers.
Did you know?
For slots with the best RTP, you can now consult Slot Tracker! It offers a more practical approach than having to scour the casino site or the provider’s portfolio, for the RTP figure.
The greatest names in the industry
There are many different casino software providers offering casino games in Canada. Many have become favourites amongst Canadian players.
Game providers like Microgaming, NetEnt, Playtech and Pragmatic Play have given us many classic games.
New games by any of these software providers are always anticipated, while any existing titles tend to remain popular for an exceptionally long time.
But what makes them so popular with players?
What makes a game provider great?
Not everyone can make it to the top, but the ones who were successful share a few common factors.
1. Quality and quantity of titles
This is a major factor. A highly-regarded games provider should have an extensive portfolio, covering hundreds of themes, with consistent quality.
Staying on top of the casino industry is important but such a feat cannot be accomplished without innovation.
If we have to make an example, we can take a look at the fast-moving slots world. Game providers are always experimenting with new layouts and special features, keeping players on edge with every new introduction.
And while speaking of special features, we have to mention the Megaways mechanic.
Although it was originally created by Big Time Gaming, it is now available from various providers.
3. Mobile optimization
Games developed for mobile-first can be enjoyed in a way that suits the player’s lifestyle.
Furthermore, games should maintain their aesthetics and features from any device.
A fun design that does not detract from ease of navigation, is also an integral part of online casino games.
Canadian players look for games that are easy to play and that deliver enjoyment every single time.
5. Great RTPs
High RTP percentages are also part of the appeal of the best casino game providers.
A high RTP is quite important for players as it gives them a better chance at landing wins.
The most innovative games providers
Big Time Gaming (BTG) is an Australian online casino software developer that is renowned for its attractively designed slots with high payouts.
Their style is mostly light-hearted, incorporating interesting bonus rounds and features like the four connected reels, in their slots.
Some of their newest games are Chocolates, Star Clusters MegaCluster and Slots Vegas Megaquads.
Although their game repertoire is not as extensive as that of many other top game providers, they are featured at the forefront of many Canadian online casinos and seem to go through continuous growth.
There are other big names in the industry that are recognized for their innovative concepts, such as
- Evolution Gaming is the leading live casino games provider in the world. It is the mastermind behind Lightning Roulette and Crazy Time, two masterpieces of innovation.
- NetEnt is one of the most innovative names in the industry. Two of their most popular slots are Gonzo’s Quest with its introduction of cascading symbols, and Twin Spin, the first slot to feature linked reels.
Providers with the most awards
In this category, we have to mention NetEnt, which has probably bagged more awards than any other games provider.
Founded in Sweden, NetEnt has received international recognition from various organizations all over the world.
Some of their latest titles are Aloha! Christmas Edition, Rage of the Seas and Divine Fortune Megaways.
NetEnt is also known for creating an assortment of table games, as well as, live dealer games.
A large number of awards have also been awarded to other big game providers:
- IGT has been praised by the industry for both its online slots and its land-based slot machines.
- One of the longest-standing game providers, and one of the pioneers of the iGaming industry, Microgaming has earned its fair share of praise and awards. Some of their unbeatable range of games include Mega Moolah and Immortal Romance.
The most prolific casino game creators
If you’re after huge variety then look no further than Playtech!
This top-rated games provider offers tons of online slots and table games, that have maintained their popularity for a long time and are now available at some of the best online casinos in Canada.
Playtech is best known for its licensed slots that include superheroes and blockbuster movies like The Matrix and King Kong.
Some of their more recent titles are Adventures Beyond Wonderland, Rubik’s Cube and Live Football Roulette.
Playtech might shine the brightest in this area but it’s not the only one who has a varied portfolio.
- Microgaming has been around since the 90s, so you can expect an extensive games collection with valued titles pertaining to most game categories.
- Play ‘n’ Go is not to be left behind. This provider has numerous games, with titles ranging from Legacy of Dead, Firefly Frenzy and 3 Hand Casino Hold’em, amongst others.
Mobile-oriented game providers
If you prefer to play casino games on your mobile, then you should look out for ELK Studios. This software provider creates beautifully designed slots that look and work amazingly on smartphones.
You might have to look around for a while to find any of their games as they are not featured at many Canadian online casinos. Some of their best-known titles are Ice Wolf, Blood Lust and Black River Gold.
And if you’re looking for some of their latest fare you can try out Visitors, Nitropolis and Katmandu Gold.
The trend of mobile casinos has instigate the release of various mobile-optimized games, ensuring a steady stream of games from the below game providers:
- NetEnt has developed the Touch Series, a special section of games for mobile users.
- BetSoft is another provider that has taken to developing a series of games that look fantastic on mobile.
The best software providers for slots
Their games are based on fantastical themes and come loaded with exciting features.
Pragmatic Play is widely featured in Canadian casinos with titles like Wolf Gold, and The Dog House topping the most popular lists.
There are other providers that excel at producing fantastic slots and you should keep an eye out for any of the below names:
- Thunderkick has a tendency to add something unique to its array of online slots, with clever visual elements that make them more realistic than others.
- Quickspin has so far produced a small but stylish collection of online slots, that are of an exceptionally high standard.
- Playtech’s branded slots have a way of creating an instant connection between game and player, that is based on a show with characters they already love.
- Microgaming is a games provider that excels in this area as well. Their progressive jackpot slots are not to be missed, particularly their Mega Moolah slot.
The best providers for live casino games/slots/progressive
There is no doubt that the best games provider here is Evolution Gaming, which has surely been responsible for the growth in popularity of live casino games.
Their setups bring to life a genuine casino atmosphere, particularly in innovative games like Live Blackjack and Live Roulette, amongst others.
There is a good chance that most Canadian live casinos will feature at least a handful of games by Evolution Gaming,
But Evolution, although the biggest, is not the only supplier of live dealer games. Other names worth mentioning are:
- Pragmatic Play has only recently launched its live tables but is quickly catching up to the competition. Some titles worth trying are Auto Roulette and Mega Sic Bo.
- Playtech has a varied live casino portfolio with games like Sic Bo and Dragon Tiger.
Other big names in the industry
The names that we have explored so far are undoubtedly some of the best in the industry.
However, there are quite a few other companies that are worth a mention. The list below features names that are also considered amongst the best in the online casino world.
They might lack the light that makes the ones we’ve mentioned shine, but they are far from mediocre and have produced some fantastic games that are worth a try.
- Novomatic tends to specialize in simply designed slots that are easy to pick up and play. From their entire portfolio, Book of Ra is the slot with the highest profile and worth a try or two.
- Barcrest started out as a land-based slot developer who ventured into the online world with huge success. Their most prolific slot to date is called Rainbow.
- WMS had an important role in bringing slots to the online world. For its contribution, its enjoys a strong reputation in the industry. Their top games include Raging Rhino and some Monopoly tie-ins.
- NextGen is not a name you will find very often as the company has a habit of licensing its games to other brands. However, some of their games have achieved enough popularity to merit a series of sequels like in the case of Medusa and Jackpot Jester.
- Bally has produced some intriguing slots that often feature some interesting mechanics. Bally is best known for its Egyptian-themed slots and the Titanic slot based on the actual movie.
- EGT was originally started in Bulgaria but is now available in various global markets. Some of their best slots are 100 Super Hot, 2 Dragons and 40 Lucky King.
- Aristocrat is mostly known for their land-based slots, however, they have produced a number of tasteful online slots such as Queen of the Nile and Red Baron.
- Yggdrasil is still rather young, however, it has attracted a lot of attention with slots like Vikings Go Berzerk and Valley of the Gods.
- Merkur Gaming is a German company with a long history and a penchant for action and adventure slots. Fitting into this theme are slots like Coffee House Mystery and Agent Istanbul.
- NYX Interactive is a big game developer with a strong focus on online slots. Some of their best slots are California Gold and Irish Eyes.
- SG Digital is a name that comes up often in Canadian casinos. They are part of the Scientific Games Group and have given us amazing titles like Raging Rhino Rampage and Monopoly Electric Wins.
- Ash Gaming is based in the UK, however, their games are available in various markets. The slot collection covers a number of Batman titles, as well as, other popular games like Chests of Plenty and Full Moon Fortunes.
- Blueprint Gaming has a quirky and varied collection that features big-name licensed games with sweet and simple mechanics to eye-catching features.
- Boongo isn’t a big name in the Canadian market, however, they are worth a mention for their highly immersive and high-quality slots. From this provider, you should look out for Age of Ceasar and Fruity Wild.
- Bulletproof is a UK based company that creates slots and table games, both for their own collection and for other companies. Amongst their most popular games, you’ll find Blackbeard and Tiki Runner.
- iSOFTbet is a provider that has produced a number of TV tie-ins. The quality and style of their games are quite varied making this provider’s portfolio quite diversified.
- Red Tiger’s main focus is on Asian-themed slots, however, they have produced a number of superhero slots and other games with adventure themes, as well as, table games.
By checking out our best casino games providers article, you’re giving yourself the chance to enjoy a fantastic casino experience.
Start by looking for a provider that suits your gaming needs and you’ll be starting off on the right foot!